There are more than 16,000 licensed taxis in Madrid, so it is not hard to find one when needed.
They are white with a diagonal red stripe on the front doors and the city's coat of arms.
A green light on the roof, and the LIBRE (free) sign behind the windscreen indicate when the taxi is available for hire.
The meter starts running only after you tell the taxista (taxi driver) where to go and he starts driving.
The initial charge is 1.95 Euros every day of the week between 06:00 am to 22:00 pm.
From Mondays to Fridays between 22:00 pm and 06:00 am on the next day the initial charge is 2.15 Euros.
On Saturdays and holidays between 22:00 pm and 06:00 am on next day the intial charge is 2.95 Euros.
Routes to and from the airport have an additional cost of 5.25 Euros.
Approximate taxi fares from the Airport to the city (including the 5.25 Euro fee):
- From Terminals 1, 2 and 3 to Plaza de Colón: 22 Euros.
- From Terminals 1, 2 and 3 to Puerta del Sol: 24 Euros.
- From Terminals 1, 2 and 3 to Plaza de España: 24 Euros.
- From Terminals 1, 2 and 3 to Atocha Station: 25 Euros.
- From Terminals 1, 2 and 3 to Chamartín Station: 21 Euros.
- From Terminal 4 to Plaza de Colón: 29 Euros.
- From Terminal 4 to Puerta del Sol: 34 Euros.
- From Terminal 4 to Plaza de España: 32 Euros.
- From Terminal 4 to Atocha Station: 32 Euros.
- From Terminal 4 to Chamartín Station: 28 Euros.
From the airport always take a taxi at the terminals' stop (T1, T2, T4 Ground Floor Arrivals) and avoid taxis located in other areas.
The taxi driver must give you a receipt if you require one, and if you have any complaints you can fill up a form (hoja de reclamaciones) available in the taxi and send it to:
Dirección General de Movilidad
Calle Albarracín nº 31, 3º
Tel: 91 4804613
Fax: 91 4804618